- ALWAYS treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS know your target and what is beyond it.
- ALWAYS keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- All firearms should be unloaded and cased coming onto the range. If you do not have a case, we have loaners available in the office at no charge.
- ALWAYS case or uncase firearms on the bench with muzzle pointing down range, and only during a “range hot” condition.
- Once a rifle has been properly uncased on the bench (during a “range hot” condition ONLY), it may then be placed into available rifle racks uncased (magazine out, bolt open, empty chamber flag inserted and safety on) if desired.
- Eye and ear protection is required to be worn on the firing line at all times during a “range hot” condition.
- Know your firearm – ensure that it is safe to use and know how to operate it correctly. If you have questions please ask a range safety officer.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your firearm.
- No incendiary ammunition, tannerite, or other fire-conducive materials are allowed on the range.
- No armor piercing or steel core penetrator (M855, green tip, black tip, etc.) ammo is allowed on the range.
- No “Force on Force” or UTM marker rounds, paintballs, or any type of “simunition” is allowed on the range.
- No drawing from a holster or firing from the hip/compressed ready position on the main firing line.
- Never use a firearm under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances or prescription drugs that may cause mental or physical impairment.
- Proper dress is required, simply because hot brass landing on your skin can create a safety hazard to yourself and others:
- No open-toed shoes, sandals, or open-top boots are allowed on the firing line on any range.
- No low-cut or under-cut tops are allowed on the firing line of any range.
- Smoking, vaping, and the use of e-cigarettes is allowed in designated areas only.
- No open carry of firearms unless you are a certified law enforcement officer with badge displayed or MGAC staff.
- No loaded firearms are allowed when entering upon any range including those carried concealed. No firearms are allowed in the office/clubhouse area unless you are MGAC staff or a law enforcement officer.
- Do NOT “cross fire” on the main line- please stay in your numbered lane. For example, never fire at a 300 yard target from a designated 200 yard position, etc.
Safety violations that may or will cause dismissal from the range:
- Firing shots over the berm or at anything other than your target.
- Pointing a firearm at another person.
- Disregarding or ignoring instructions given by a Range Safety Officer.
- Casing or uncasing a firearm off of the bench, or on the bench during a “range cold” condition.
- Handling firearms or ammunition during a “range cold” condition.
- All persons using MGAC ranges are responsible for safe firearm handling. If you see any indication of unsafe firearm handling or questionable behavior, please notify an RSO immediately or call a CEASE FIRE if deemed warranted and notify the RSO on duty immediately of the reason.
If you have ANY questions or are unclear about any safety procedures, please speak with the Range Safety Officer prior to handling any firearm.
Have fun and be safe,
– Your MGAC RSO Team